Keto Everything Bagels
This recipe is based on "Fathead" pizza dough. The main difference (besides the Everything seasoning) is the addition of baking powder and an extra egg to help with the rising. There are so many variations on this — you will find dozens of renditions on the internet and in various cookbooks. I have two caveats for this recipe: The dough is not dough as you know it — it balls and/or strings — so don't think you are making it wrong. You just have to get used to working with Fathead dough. Second, I found that it was a bit greasy when I sliced it and so cream cheese did not want to spread. Toasting the split bagel helped with this.
2 cups almond flour
1 tsp. sea salt (after you have made this once you can decide if you want a little more salt)
1 TBS gluten-free baking powder (if it has expired, treat yourself to a new canister)
3 cups shredded whole milk Mozzarella cheese (I always shred my own — packaged shredded cheese is often mixed with an anti-caking agent — usually a starch!)
3 oz. full-fat cream cheese (the 6 TBS line on a block if it is not marked in ounces) (cubed)
2 large eggs (mixed together in a separate bowl)
Optional: You can mix a third egg egg and use it for an egg wash but I found that the seasonings stayed on the bagel if I just pressed them in a little bit. I did it both ways — with and without an egg wash — and it was a wasted egg in my opinion. However, if you are a "serious" baker you might prefer to use the wash.
(Alternative to making from scratch) Trader Joe's Everything Seasoning
Mix together the following to make from scratch:
¼ cup sesame seeds or 2 TBS of white sesame seeds and 2 TBS of black sesame seeds
3 TBS granulated garlic
3 TBS minced onions
3 TBS poppy seeds
2 TBS flaked salt or coarse sea salt
Optional Toppings and Variations
Salted: Flaked salt or coarse sea salt
Seeded: Plain sesame or plain poppy seeds
Savory: Mix the seasonings into the dough before baking: 1 tsp each of garlic and onion powder and Italian seasoning. A little bit of this mix or just some granulated garlic can be used for the topping .
Cheesy: Asiago cheese with an optional sprinkling of some granulated garlic
Sweet: Some granulated Swerve sugar and cinnamon
You can see the toppings and flavors are unlimited!
SeasoningS and Toppings
Prepare desired seasonings and toppings as described above.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lay parchment paper on cookie sheet.
- Mix together the almond flour, sea salt and baking powder in a separate bowl, then set aside.
- Combine the shredded mozzarella and cubed cream cheese in a microwave-safe dish and microwave for one minute. Stir and heat for an additional 30 seconds until mixed. If you do not have a microwave, put the mixture into a saucepan on medium heat and stir everything together for about one minute until it is all melted and mixed well.
- Stir the almond flour mixture and eggs into the melted cheese mixture.
- The dough will be sticky. Rub your hands with a little avocado oil or butter and keep kneading until fully mixed. If the dough becomes too hard before fully mixed or difficult to mix together or stringy, you can reheat it on the stove on low for a minute, or microwave for 20–30 seconds to soften it and finish mixing together. (You can also mix this with your stand mixer using the paddle. However I found this more work — because of cleanup — than it was worth.)
- Divide the dough into equal parts (for however many bagels you are making). For each part, make a ball and using your thumb or the end of a spoon, make a hole in the center. A hole of 1/2" to 1" is a good size. From the formed hole, pull and mold the dough into a circular shape.
- For whatever seasoning and toppings you are using, sprinkle all over the dough and gently press into the tops.
- Bake for 10–14 minutes, until the bagels are firm and golden.
I suggest making 8 bagels or even 12 mini bagels.
For the entire recipe as written (in grams):
Total Carbohydrates: 58.4
Net Carbohydrates: 34.4
This is a strong caveat: if you divide this recipe into 8 bagels it will be almost 18g of protein and 7.3g of total carbohydrate per bagel. This is easily close to one-third of a day's protein allowance and it is also almost one-half of a day's carb allowance if you are doing 20 total carbs. I would not have these every day, but if you do and you don't track your macros, just be highly aware of these counts! Making 12 mini-bagels makes it a bit better, but each bagel would be no bigger than a few bites, although that might be enough to scratch an itch without causing a full-blown craving for more. Also, any topping other than salt will contain trace macros.